Sunday, September 17, 2006

Back from the Chequamegon

Well we did the long ride home today after the race over the weekend. It was another great weekend in the Northwoods. We left on Thursday for a day of riding the trails right behind the condos that we stayed at. They were some of the sweetest trails that we have ridden so far this year. After the ride we cleaned up and went for a great meal and a couple of beers at the place right down the road. We kind of drank to much and then paid the price the next morning. Danny, Len and myself then rode the race course on Friday to find where the bad sand and hills were and then relaxed for the race the next day.

The race went about as good as I could have planned I guess. Danny, Len and myself all had preferred starts so we got to roll up to the start and then get a good warm up and be ready for when the gun went off. The race started and I got into a good spot and spun the legs as fast as I could and hung on for the road lead out. I was sitting in a good spot and was in the top 30 for the entire race and never really felt as I was at the max. As we hit the first hills and sand I just kept it pinned and tried to see where it would take me and it never really hurt as much as I expected. I stayed with the other Single Speeders until I got stuck behind a guy that caused me to get off in a sand trap and I lost contact and then the chase was on and I could never close the gap. I just then made sure I could keep it going so not to give up my 3rd place spot. I was happy with the finish as the guys who did beat me were 19 and 21 years old hell I'm old enough to be there father. Good finish equals great tasting beer.

Props to Ron who finished 3rd in the 40 Single Speed class. John who finished 2nd in age in the 40 and to Murphy Kate who finished 1st in the Single Speed in the Short race. Len who finished 5th in age and Danny who finished 5th in the Single Speed in the short race. Also great job to everyone else as I don't feel like typing all those results. Time to rest and read the paper. Later..

1 comment:

Christine said...

Great Job for an old man!