Sunday, August 28, 2005

CR WORS race

WOW what a great day for racing. To start the day I helped for about 2 hours in the morning parking cars for the Alttera team. Then I had to get the family ready for their races. Maddie had a great start but she hit wheels witht the racer in front of her and went down on the gravel up hill right in front of us. I helped her up and she was off racing again. I went to the bottom of the hill and she had made up alot of the spots she lost. I got to the top and she was back to 3rd and finished in third. That was a great finish for her after her spill. She has really made great progress since her first race this year. I think if she keeps it up she can be a great racer some day.

Nate was next and he was 2nd up the hill right behind a 14 to 16 year old. He was going good and went down hard over the bars and had to get up and chase back to the guys ahead. By the hill on the back of the ski hill he ws back on the group. He pushed to the front by the next lap and worked with Travis and then it was a sprint up the final hill and he won the sprint and the 10 to 14 age group and was 16th over all of all the citizen racers. Not bad since he did the 28 mile ore to shore last weekend, track on Tues and raced the CR time trial on Wed. He also rode CR on Fri with Jerry and me and then pre-rode it on Sat. I guess he recovers pretty good. He rode great today.

Cece had a good race today and took a 2nd in her age group and was 6th overall in the lady cit class. She was strong up the hill and kept her spot the entire time that she raced the race. She lost a few spots when she fell today also and had to pass a few up the hills to get her place back. She passed Suzy Weigel and the last up hill. She raced great too.

Today I finaly hit on all cylinders and was flying. I had a great start up the hill and was sitting in about 7th by the top which is good for me. I passed 3 in the grass before the first turn and then got on the wheel in front of me and started to think when open up the jets. I got to the gravel pile and looked back and saw the guys I need to beat right behind me. When we hit the wood chips I waited until the little dips and hit it hard and got the 3 infront of me and never looked back. I had a good gap by the time I rounded the dump and passed 3 guys right before the single track along the river. I knew if I did that it would make it harder for those behind. I passed a few in the single track when they slowed to much and hit the open area at full speed and passed another few slower riders and just kept doing that and pushed when I could and recovered when I was stuck behind the others. At the end I won my age group and 12th overall. I said to myself during the race not on my play ground I will fight to win this race as I love this course and know every turn so well that I could drop anyone on my wheel.

Cudo's to all the other racers. Amy rocking all the ladies in sport on her single speed and getting 1st overall for all. Matt Brandt taking first overall also on single speed. Then to the others Jack 11th overall in elite on his single speed after racing the state crit yesterday. Goat pulling in a 14th on his single speed. Ron a 19th on his single speed( dropping his chain). Hey those single speeders were rocking today. Jerry was looking good but he decided to hit the deck a few times and kiss a few trees today. We will get him to keep it rubber side up soon. Oh yea Alan took 2nd and Danny took 3rd in the sport single speed also. Lenny took a 1st in the clyde sport today, not bad for a trackie. And Lori taking the 2nd in the elite women way to go. And the cookies were great by the way. Barb was looking good and I think a few more rides at CR we could have her flying in the single track and climbing hills faster. We will have to get her and Cece there and let them ride work on their skills. If I forgot anyone sorry and grat job today.

Have to get the kids in bed as tomorrow is the first day of school. Later..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry Jay, no short cuts, the Punk kid is just fast.

Jay said...

The race director asked me if I thought that he took a short cut. I told them no he is just plain old fast. I think that he could have raced comp and won at how well he was riding. See you at the track.