Thursday, May 21, 2009

Don and bmx

Here is a picture of Don Vanderbrook leading his race on his last night of racing with us. May he ride in the big peloton in the sky. I read on line that he passed away the other night from his injuries from the accident the other night on the track. God Bless.....

Picture from http://www.peloton-pix.com/

Nate and I loaded the car rack with the bmx bikes and hit the bmx track. the practice feeling good by the end and I was beginning to pedal over many of the spots that gave me problems last year. Lenn was dragging me down the first straight but I was able to pedal in spots and carry some speed in areas that he is a little scared yet, but I know that will change and he will be right there when it counts. I put a 44 chain ring on the 20 and it was a tad tall and I switched it to a 43 and I felt better but lost some of the speed down the first straight but I will get it dialed in and try the 44 again once I get used to the 43. I will try the 43 at Rockford Saturday and switch to the 44 if needed. The wind was so strong it almost blew Nate over when he was pulling a manual. He was able to pull his bike back under control and keep himself up right. He decided that after the scare he would keep both wheels on the ground and he killed Lenn and I on every lap after that. I have to say I wanted to laugh when Tina fell out of the gate but I didn't know if she was hurt, but she wasn't and got right back up. It was nice to see the bmx gang again and I will race a few more races this summer. By the end our eyes where sore from the wind and dust and loaded up and headed home. I now have a bushel of dirt in in the corners of my eyes, can't wait till the morning and find the mud pie of dirt in the eyes. Now I need a shower to get the dirt out of places where it was sand blasted in. Later..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for helping me up!!! I was just laying there talking to myself going "I can't believe this, My left side AGAIN!!!" Those holes next to the gate got me!!(and I heard I wasn't the only one, others did the exact same thing) Well make that 4 falls to the left hip its not happy :-( I can't win...UGHHH!!
I agree Nice seeing everyone again!