Monday, November 24, 2008

Nothing Hanging

I walked out this morning and kicked up 2 doe. I was hoping that they would turn in and head towards my Dad but they stayed in the field and ran away from him. Just our luck. I then headed to the stand and I sat there for a couple of hours and didn't see a thing. I didn't hear any shots today either. When I got in for lunch my Dad said that he seen a doe that was limping around as if it was shot. He found some blood on the ATV trail and tried to track it and couldn't find where it went. I went out after lunch and tried and went through all the areas around and couldn't fine any trace of the deer. I went and sat in the stand for a couple of hours and again I didn't hear any shots or see any deer. Then I walked out and ran into my Dad and the both of us tried to track the deer again and couldn't find it. Well more hunting tomorrow. Later..

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there dude - all the smart deer are hiding & snickering while the weekenders freeze their asses off!
Jeff B.

bmxmtbfam said...

keep looking, I seen more wolves this year than deer the f*ing twolves are all over. Its clear the dnr is full of shit about the anount of wolves in the state. We went to the bar saturday and 10 hunters had pictures on their phones. No collar, blast away. Did you see that the DNR bear number was off by 20,000.

So add another job that you can suck at and still get paid; weatherperson, state wildlife counter

DIHAF? said...

I saw a spike, a small 3 pointer and some does. The bucks were the smallest I have seen in the area ever. Either they were stunted by the bad winter or maybe I was just witnessing some really bad ass fawn bucks.

I passed on the does because:

They said in Vilas that the buck count was down 20% last year and the winter last year (global cooling) was so brutal it was in the 90-100% severity index which I think they said translated into a 25% doe/fawn mortality rate. They also said that timber wolves are killing a lot of deer there now.

On the way home they said the harvest in northern counties was down 40%!

I thought it was weird not hearing shots this year. Heard a total of 2 shots on Monday. Opening morning used to sound like WWII, now it sounds like a couple guys are out grouse hunting.

I was in the woods from 5:45 am to 5:00 pm for 3 days.

I guess the lower in mid portions of the state have lots of deer. The northern counties are at "quota." Well hallelujah.

Get another winter like last year and the only thing we will be able to tie to the back of the car is a red squirrel. I saw no sign whatsoever that the red squirrel population was within "quota."

Jay said...

I agree as the counts are all messed up. We have not seen any except the ones that were running full blast and the wounded that my Dad seen. At least I'm not at work. I need a beer. Later..