Saturday, April 19, 2008

Racing around

Nate and I hit up a WCA race today in a Park out in the sticks some where. The directions were good but not great. After seeing a few bikes going one direction and then a bunch going in the other we were all messed up. I had Nate try to pull the place in the GPS but he was lost in doing that this morning. I seen Rich in the photo thing he drives and followed him and then Lowell came out his drive and he lead the way there. We were about to just bag it as we were all turned around and then got lucky and found someone to follow. All good I guess.

Once we got there Jeremey and Jeff were in the parking lot so we pulled in and Nate got ready as I got him all registered for his race. There was a good sized kids field again as there was about 15 kids toeing the start line. It was a real good race today as the boys covered all the moves and the race stayed together for once. As they came around the last turn I could see that none of the boys were in the lead but Nate did pull off a 3rd, Gage a 5th and Mitch a 7th. In all it was a great race for the boys and I think they Will start to kick it in real soon and the results will show. I forgot the camera again so no pictures again.

Then I opened the wallet and deiced to put my USCF license to use and registered for the Masters 3/4 race. I did it as Danny and John said that they were going to race and it has been about 5 years since I have done a USCF crit. The ABR stuff in the springs don't count. Dan and I were able to get a nice warm up in as my legs felt like crap this morning, maybe the Thursday beat down has something to do with it. Well after the warm up they felt pretty good. We got to the line and then the race started and I whiffed my pedal big time and went from second row to one of the last down the straight. Man that sucked as some dork had to go hard right at the start so I was red lined for the for half a lap. It settled down after that and I was able to surf the front half of the group for the rest of the race. The race had a bunch of guys that tried to break off but it never happened and then it came down to the last lap and the 90 degree final turn and I was in like 15th so I just sat up and rolled in 30th and 13th in age. Not a bad race for the first one in a long time and 55 at the start. It was almost 19 miles at a 25.2 mph average. Enough fun that I may try one again some time.

Just to let you all know there is always a guy in a crit always talking the entire time telling everyone what they are doing wrong. The nice guy I am I told him to shut it and it lasted for a lap or 2 and then he was at it again and some guy tells him to F&%$ off. Well words are going and I tell them both to shut up and the other guy comes up and asked me what I was going to do about it. I told him what I would do and he fell back a bunch of spots and I didn't see him till the end and he came up and said he was sorry. How nice I thought.

At the race we talked and all 3 of us think the if the Rock Cut race is on tomorrow we are skipping it. As the rain for the last few days out there and the fact that the race is pretty far away and the price of gas is getting up there that we would just ride around here. So tomorrow Nate and I are going to ride with Jeff, Samantha, Dan, John and maybe a few others from West Allis to East Troy. Have lunch and then ride back for a nice long ride. I would like to ride on some dirt but it will have to wait a little longer. Once the trails dry up around here then we will practice mtn biking, until then we will just get in a few longer rides. Later..

2 comments:

bmxmtbfam said...

lots of mud in the front section, the next 7 miles was nice. I pulled a stupis rookie moved and locked up the front brake going down hit1/4 mile in. Its taking ice nicely.

Jay said...

Sounds like fun as was our ride. The miles on the road will fit in nicely later in the season. I only had to wipe of some dust and sweat. Glad you enjoyed the race though. I still wish the weather would have made it a go to the race but I had enough mud last year.