Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Enough?

That is the funny thing every racers ask themselves at this time of the year, is this enough training for the next year? I think yes I am and the kids are doing more then enough for the next year. As I have always done, I ride the rollers a couple times a week with specific training and doing it for shorter times then 2 plus hours each. I seem to do fine on all the rides and have made the entire Bone ride every year. Again if the rides are amped way up I would get dropped even if I rode 10 hours a day. I have accepted the fact that I will be 42 and with the limits that I work with I'm just happy to be able to ride every day.

Yes it would be great if Nate would be riding the weekend rides with us, but he has just turned 11. He does a few every year and holds his ground in the rides, so that is enough for him for now. Plus with the BMX racing on Sunday and a few on the Sat also I like him to be fresh for the races. So for now no Sat rides for Nate.Nate seems to be holding his own rather well in his age group in WORS with the training that he is doing. Maddie rides but not the same level or mind set that Nate has. She is getting better but it will be a awhile before I even think about pulling her in on a group ride with us. It is good that Maddie is riding at the BMX track as I hope that will help. They work out on the rollers in the basement for about an hour 3 times a week to a specific program also. So being their age I think that is enough for now. As they get older the training will get more intense also.

Now as for Cece if she did any training that would be a good thing. But with her teaching and all she might get a ride in on the bike once every couple of weeks. She could do well in sport if she tried but she won't ride in the off season. For that fact she did not ride her bike once even during the season last year also. She just rode at the races and then not again until the next one. So with her training that is a NOT ENOUGH but it works for her I guess.

There are a couple of other enough's in my world also. Do I have enough money? NO. Do you think you drank enough beer? NO. Do you think you are working enough? YES. The list could go on and on but those are a few enough's for now.

So everyone has their enough at a different level and it plays to where they want to be at the level that they want to play at. I'm happy with my enough because it gives me time to do what else makes our family happy also. Later..

1 comment:

DIHAF? said...

I have been thinking the same thing, Jay. I will be 44. I remember years back when a friend turned 43 and thinking he rode pretty good for an old guy. I also remember feeling sorry for him.

My only goal is to break all my personal bests this year. Just kidding.

I hope to be able to hang for a few more years.